With the success of last year’s first winter fun event, we are bringing it back for the second year!
The Bonnyville Pontiacs 2nd Annual Ice Fishing Derby is set for Feb. 5 with the chance once again to win over $10,000 in cash and prizes.
The fishing for Northern Pike begins at 9:00am and runs until 3:00pm at Angling Lake, southeast of Bonnyville.
“After the success of the inaugural ice fishing event last year, it was a no-brainer to make this an annual event,” said assistant General Manager Neil Langridge.
“This tournament can take place regardless of government restrictions while creating a family friendly environment suitable for all ages. That’s why we’ve dropped our registration prices as well as added a youth division.”
In hopes of getting as many people out to the event, registration for adults is now just $100, while the brand new youth category is $40 to enter.
To get into the tournament, you must download the FishDonkey app. Follow the latest updates on the Facebook event.
This is a catch and release event.
Here is the full list of rules for the event.
- This is a catch and release event
- Tents will be permitted.
- All fishing must comply with 2022 Alberta sportfishing guidelines and regulations
- All contestants must supply a valid Alberta sportfishing license or provide proper documentation of there exemption.
- Northern Pike will be the only species accepted for measuring.
- All other species excluding northern pike must be released back into the lake in the most harmless way possible.
- All fish must be alive when measured.
- All participants must practice catch and release, no retention of fish is permitted.
- All decisions made by the tournament officials and committee are final.
- Fish can only be entered between the hours of 9am and 3pm.
- Grand Prize winners will be decided by 3 fish total length, biggest fish bonus pot will be awarded to the largest fish of all valid entries.
- Bait allowed per Alberta sportfishing guidelines for Angling lake.
- No refunds will be granted.
- In the event of tie first measured fish wins. Or first 3 fish total.
- No fizzing of fish.
- Absolutely no passing of fish between contestants.
- Tournament will take place as long ice conditions are deemed safe.
- Event organizers are not responsible for any death, injury, theft, damage to property or any loss which may occur before, during or after the event.
- Additional Rules and Regulations can be found on the Fishdonkey app
- All AHS covid-19 protocols must be followed.