The Bonnyville PONTIACS of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) are seeking an individual to serve as the teams Athletic Trainer/Equipment Manager commencing for the 2016-17 hockey season. The successful applicant must be a strong team-oriented person who is positive, outgoing, prepared and willing to work closely with the coaching and full-time staff. The position requires strong organizational and communication skills along with a positive attitude and work ethic. Applicants must be able to handle multiple task and responsibilities. The individual will also be required to travel with the team to all road games.
We have a unique culture where people convert their passion into action every day. The PONTIAC organization represents qualities such as caring, sharing, connecting, integrity and excellence and we are looking for someone who is energetic, engaged and wants to be in a work environment that's positive, and inclusive.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
• Attending and being available for first response and injury assessments for all games and practices;
• Attending to and assessing player injuries, rehabilitation needs and maintaining documentation;
• Source and maintain relationships with local health care professionals to provide network of care for players;
• Establishing injury prevention and physical preparation guidelines;
• Communication of injuries to coaching staff and medical staff;
• Assist players with Hockey Canada Insurance claims as required;
• Liaise with parents about players with injury status;
• Collecting and maintaining ‘up to date’ health information on all players (allergies, past injuries, concussions, medical and insurance numbers, emergency contact, etc.);
• Maintaining stock of required basic first aid and taping supplies within budget;
• Manage, repair and distribution of players equipment (sticks, gloves, pants, helmets, jerseys, team apparel);
• Game day setup of dressing room, players benches and team equipment;
• Skate sharpening;
• Post-practice and post-game laundry;
• Organize and set-up player “room duties;”
• Maintaining an inventory and ordering of all team and player equipment related to hockey operations in collaboration with the coaching staff;
• Prepare periodized training plan for beginning of season and assist with pre-season fitness testing as needed;
• Prepare workouts in accordance with the periodized plan – modify as needed to account for on-ice practice intensity, travel schedule, overall team fatigue, and injury trends;
• Create preventive programs to address recurring injury trends and supervise athletes in gym to ensure program adherence and correct execution of exercises;
• Taping player injuries as required;
• Modify team program for injured athletes as needed; create maintenance programs/advise athletes unable to participate in team practice;
• Maintain general tidiness of office (training room), dressing room, and all storage and equipment rooms;
• Maintain an inventory of equipment and dressing room maintenance;
• Assist in functions for the players – team building, special events, and volunteer events with both players and volunteers.
This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience.
Interested applicants are asked to outline their qualifications. Certified Athletic Therapist, or related program and previous hockey team experience would be an asset.
This position requires non-standard hours.
Benefits and gym membership are included with salary which will be based on experience and certification.
Start date for the successful applicant would be August 2016. A short orientation with our current Athletic Therapist in June is preferred.
Those interested are asked to forward a resume to:
Rick SWAN, Head Coach & General Manager
Bonnyville Junior ‘A’ PONTIACS – Alberta Junior Hockey League
Phone: (780) 826-2893