The Bonnyville PONTIACS hockey club considers itself to be a progressive organization focused on the well-being of it's players and fans. While the PONTIACS have never had an issue with any of our fans, there was an incident involving a fan from another team earlier this week where there was a racial taunting of one of our players on social media. This inexcusable and disappointing action has led our organization to review our own policies with regards to our fan conduct.
The Bonnyville PONTIACS carry a rich tradition which embraces the values of pride, privilege and respect and likewise we hold our players to a high standard of sportsmanship. We expect the same from our fans. While extremely unfortunate, we hope to learn from this unacceptable incident that occurred while we were playing on the road and have in turn initiated a FAN CODE OF CONDUCT. As an organization we want to emphasize that we have never had any incidents involving our own fans and we want to encourage their continued passion and support for our hockey team and our organization.
FAN CODE OF CONDUCT
The Bonnyville PONTIACS are committed to creating a safe, comfortable, fun and enjoyable experience for all fans and players. We want all of our fans attending our games to enjoy the experience of watching a Bonnyville PONTIACS game in a responsible and safe fashion. When attending a game we will expect our fans and members of our organization to refrain from the following behaviors:
– Any behavior that is unruly, disruptive, or illegal in nature.
– Any foul, racial or abusive language or any obscene gestures towards anyone at the arena or displayed anywhere on social media.
– Any intoxication or other signs of alcohol or drug impairment that results in irresponsible behavior.
– Any interference with the progress of the game (including throwing objects onto the ice).
– Failing to follow instructions of RJ LaLONDE personnel.
– Any verbal, physical, written or racial harassment of the opposing team, of their fans, and of officials.
Event patrons are responsible for their conduct as well as the conduct of their guests and/or persons occupying their seats. Arena staff will promptly intervene to support an environment where event patrons, their guests, and other fans can enjoy PONTIAC games free from the above behavior. Event patrons and guests who violate these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and may face loss of ticket privileges for future games.